MyFriendsAreFiction

Inhuman
Kat Falls
Progress: 41 %

Throne of Glass

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas Wavering between 3.5 and 4 starsReview from my blog, My Friends Are FictionThe Story: Maas’ story is engaging but I want more world-building beyond the information relevant to Celaena’s story; since this is book one of a series its understandable to have gaps in world history and lore. I’m excited to read more of this world she has started to build. I feel some of the story is bogged down midway as the characters relationships are being developed. Usually, I really enjoy this aspect of a book but I am more intrigued with the action sequences in Throne of Glass since Maas creates such vivid battles. The Characters: I find Celaena a contradiction, she seems to live life morally during her stay at the castle, yet she is an assassin. That might of been the point but it just seemed off to me. How could someone kill brutally yet save others and be so kind? She doesn’t seem to carry any guilt, which I would expect by the way she’s described and her actions throughout the story. I find it hard to believe she was ever able to kill. I read on the author’s website that there are four prequel novellas that focus on Celaena a year and half before the events of Throne of Glass. I have yet to read them but hope that some of my questions will be answered. My favorite character is Chaol, the Captain of the Guard. I want to know more about who he is and his past. The Crown Prince, Dorian, was OK but he seemed stereo-typical in many aspects. He just lacked anything that really made me pull for him. He’s not dis-likable but I didn’t want to know much more about him. I am intrigued with the Eyllwe princess, Nehemia. I hope that in future books we learn much more about her and her land. Final Thoughts: For the most part I really enjoyed this book, I will check out the rest of the series and the novellas.